Hand-dyed scrappy double wedding ring quilt

I am still on a serious stash-busting mission.  I have been ruthless, well sort of anyway, I need to make some work space, and I literally have boxes and boxes of fabric just begging to be made into something useful. 

I want to do some more fabric dyeing, and need to use up what I have already dyed before I can get started on that project.  I made a pieced backing for a queen size quilt, and haven’t used it just yet, now I have the perfect backing, just waiting to be used.    There were a few odd pieces left over, and then I discovered a whole box more, metres and metres of colour.  I wanted to use them all (even the really ugly ones) together for a scrappy and came up with the idea of a making a double wedding ring quilt. 

They look so beautiful, and challenging with all those curves and interlocking seams.  The hand dyed fabrics have an advantage of no right or wrong side to use, which made cutting the pieces a lot easier as it eliminated the left and right piece needed to finish each arc, so only 3 coloured shapes were needing to be cut to make the arcs, not 4.  This might seem trivial, but finding out how much work goes into making just a single “ring” made me think carefully about how I could eliminate any unnecessary steps.  I cut for hours until I had a box of gorgeous colour pieces. 

For consistency, I used acid-yellow/black and jade/black for the ends of the arcs, they meet and make a four patch, I felt that scrappy corner patches would look too jumbled, all the nicest DWR’s I looked at on the internet have co-ordinated corners.  I had a couple of rolls of  white PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabric needing to be used in something, so they will be the centres and wedge shapes for each ring. 

My first trial ring was a complete disaster.  I am a lazy patcher, I just keep a ¼” seam and the rest usually sorts itself out, with a bit of fudging here and there to make things fit, and then use a bit of creative longarm quilting to get it to lay flat.  But with a DWR quilt, you just can’t fudge seams, especially the curves, they must be accurate.  I went back to basics, reset my machine for an exact 1/4”, and marked the stitching lines on the white fabric.  My second ring was a lot more successful, I marked and pinned and checked the curve was consistent and it turned out ok.  I am using templates to cut the pieces, and being the first time I have ever used them, I can say that instead of slowing the cutting of pieces down, against the speed of strip cutting, it isn’t too bad time wise.

Advertisements

About 2010quilts

I am a longarm quilter, quilt designer, and producer of hand dyed fabric.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s