The inspiration for this quilt came from a need to get some quilting practice on my brand new longarm machine. The February 2008 flooding had me at home for a few days. For some time I had been keeping every scrap from all the quilts I had made, even 1 ½ inch squares and strips, some were over 10 years old, but we quilting girls understand the value of scraps. They really needed to be made up into something useful, so I started making four-patches until I had quite a pile, these were joined together with other four patch squares and then sashing strips from some really ugly fat quarters were added. I was on a mission, it took all day, but I felt satisfied with the result. Day two had me making some stars with more of those one inch finished squares as the centres. This used up a few more , and all the star points / flying geese were cut from the box full of 2 ½” strips I had been hoarding. There were still a lot of 1 ½” strips needing to be used up somewhere, so I joined them together into long groups of strips and cross cut them, these were then re-joined into border strips. The scrap stash was still quite generous, so more 12” squares were joined with sashing strips to make a pieced backing out of some of the “uglies” that were a bit too challenging to be used in anything else. This quilt ended up being queen size, and I did have a good sized piece to practice my quilting on. Day four had the quilt loaded and quilted in a simple edge to edge design of leaves that complimented the bright but subdued autumn tones of the quilt. I named this quilt “Asylum” as I’m sure that is where I belonged after constructing, quilting and binding a queen sized quilt in four days! It is now one of my husbandBill’s favourite quilts.